These brownies were my dad’s favorite growing up and they quickly became my husband’s birthday treat of choice. I love them because they only take a few ingredients and are super simple (and dangerously addictive)!
1 box German Chocolate Cake Mix
1 stick of butter, melted
1 small can 8 oz. evaporated milk
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 bag (14 oz.) caramels
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix the cake mix, butter, and 1/3 C. evaporated milk together in a medium size bowl.
3. Press half of cake mixture into the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
4. While the first half is baking, unwrap the caramels, add the rest of the evaporated milk (2/3 cup) and place in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for one minute, then stir…repeat until the caramels are completely melted.
5. When the bottom layer is done, pour the melted caramel over the top, then sprinkle with the chocolate chips. pat the rest of the mixture flat with your hands and layer on top of the chocolate chips (you will have to do this in pieces; it is okay to have some spaces in between, they will seal as it bakes).
6. Bake the brownies for another 20-25 minutes.
7. Let cool. (These are one of the few treats that are better when prepared a day ahead. If you eat them before they are cool, they just don’t taste as good! I promise.)
7. Cut and enjoy!