I have a new recipe that will save you on those crazy dinner nights, and I know your whole family will LOVE it!
It is creamy and comforting and works for even the pickiest eaters. It tastes great as a leftover and is even better with all the mix ins but can confidently stand alone. It is always a hit at a potluck or when cooking for a crowd and you can throw it in your crockpot in the morning and let it simmer all day!
It is a homemade, TOMATO BASIL SOUP that tastes fresh and savory. Takes 5 minutes to prepare and only uses 3 ingredients! You will never open a can of tomato soup ever again!
2 jars of RAGU chunky tomato, garlic and onion (YES! The brand and variety matter)
1 pint of heavy whipping cream (you can substitute half & half)
1 cup of chopped, fresh basil (yes, I know it is a lot)
Pour the tomato sauce and and cream into a pan and heat slowly on the stovetop. Mix in the chopped, fresh basil. For best results, let simmer on low for a bit before serving. This also works great heated for a few hours in a crockpot on low or prepared the day before.
I love to give the soup some variety with yummy mix ins. I usually serve these on the side so everyone can create a bowl of soup they love. A few of our favorites:
- shredded cheese (mozzarella, parmesan, cheddar, feta)
- sauteed veggies (onions, mushrooms, peppers, spinach, zucchini)
- grains (orzo, tortellini, barley, couscous, rice)
- herbs (fresh basil, parsley, oregano)
- toppings (crackers, croutons, tortilla strips, fried crispy onions, green onions, avocados)
- protein (grilled chicken, meatballs)
- salt and pepper to taste
- If you like your tomato soup a little sweeter, you can mix in 1 tsp of sugar to the original recipe
- If you like your tomato soup a little thinner, add some milk
- Always a great side dish for a grilled cheese or panini night
One recipe serves our family of 6 for one main dish meal. I always double it so we can have leftovers! If you are serving it as a side dish, you might be able to stretch it a little further.
I think this will become a requested staple on your winter nights! If you give it a try, let me know and share your favorite mix in!!