A great brunch is one of my favorite meals to eat and to prepare. Last month I hosted my mascara party and made food for a crowd. One recipe I especially loved was my Tomato and Feta Egg Casserole…it’s hearty and flavorful but full of veggies and protein. Perfect if you have a garden full of tomatoes and zucchini this summer!
3 Tbsp. butter
2 medium onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 zucchini, chopped
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
8 pieces of white bread torn into pieces
9 eggs, beaten
3 c. milk
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. mustard
1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
1 1/4 cup feta, crumbled
4-6 tomatoes (depending on size), sliced for the top of the casserole
1. Melt the butter and saute the onion until it is soft. Add the pepper, zuchinni, and garlic salt and cook until veggies are crisp tender. Set aside.
2. Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and mustard.
3. In a greased 9 x 13 pan, layer the torn bread, the monterey jack cheese, 3.4 c. of feta cheese, then the veggies. Pour the egg mixture over the top and let sit over night or for at least 6 hours.
4. In the morning, before baking, layer the top of the casserole with sliced tomatoes and the remainder of the cheese.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes. If the top looks like it is cooking too fast, put foil over the top for the last 20 minutes of cooking.
6. Let sit, covered, for a couple of minutes before serving.